Deadline: Friday, April 12, 2019
The Gateway Program is a semester-long experience for Iowa State University
Political Science majors who have obtained an internship in Washington, D.C. in a political science-related field. The goal of the Gateway Program is to foster professional and academic development for ISU political science students and build a robust network of support and institutional knowledge as students prepare for their future careers.
- January – April: Students download, complete, and submit their application to the Gateway Program Review Committee by 5 PM on Friday, April 12.
- April: For Summer 2019, three students will be selected by the Review Committee to participate in the Gateway Program. Features of the Gateway Program include:
- Unique one-on-one mentorship experience with an ISU alumnus in Washington, D.C.
- $1,000 cost-of-living stipend
- Young professional networking opportunities
- Career planning with mentor and greater ISU alumni network
- Eligibility for ISU academic credit
- April – May: Selected students are informed on or around the last week of April and paired with an ISU alumnus in their field of interest.
- May – June: Students arrive in Washington, D.C. for Gateway Program orientation and to begin their internships.
- June – August: Students undertake internships, meet with mentors, and take advantage of all the Gateway Program has to offer.
- August: Program completion and students return to ISU as Gateway Program Ambassadors.
*All Iowa State University Political Science Majors and Minors who obtain an internship in the Washington, D.C.-area are eligible to apply.*
Please submit applications and any questions you may have to GatewayInfo@iastate.edu.
Washington, D.C. Summer 2019 Featured Internship Opportunities
All applicants to the Iowa State University Gateway Program must obtain an internship in Washington, D.C. in order to be eligible.
|Summer Intern||U.S. Department of Treasury||Link|
|Intern||Congressional Budget Office||Link|
|Special Projects Intern||National Foundation for Women Legislators||Link|
|Intern||American Red Cross||Link|
|Research Intern||Environmental Law Institute||Link|
|Intern||Senate Foreign Relations Committee||Link|
|Legal Intern||DLA Piper||Link|
|Summer Intern||Democratic National Committee||Link|
|Summer Intern||Republican National Committee||Link|
|Intern||Center for Strategic & International Studies||Link|
|Summer Intern||Migration Policy Institute||Link|
|Summer Intern||Nuclear Threat Initiative (NTI)||Link|
|Intern||United States Senate (various opportunities)||Link|
|Intern||Human Rights Campaign (various opportunities)||Link|
|Operations Intern||Hattaway Communications||Link|
|Policy Intern||National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition||Link|
|Dev. Outcomes Intern||Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC)||Link|
|Summer Intern||United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)||Link|
|Middle East Policy Intern||Brookings Institution||Link|
|Proliferation Prevention Intern||Stimson Center||Link|
Internship Search Engines
Senate Employment Bulletin: https://www.cop.senate.gov/employment/po/positions.htm
Intern Queen: https://www.internqueen.com/